Pages

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, October 18, 2012

MMMeatloaf!

I love comfort food: mashed potatoes, gravy, mac n' cheese, gravy, stuffing, gravy...

...but I also love unclogged arteries. I don't like to sacrifice taste to make something healthier (i.e. if you're craving cheese, just eat REAL cheese, not some fat-free overly processed crap), so I've found ways to make my comfort food a little more guilt-free but still yummy.

Note: Chris and I cook our own dinners and bring our own breakfast/lunch to work almost every day, which is pretty rare for city dwellers like us, and people often wonder how we have the time/energy to do it. The truth is we make a lot of shortcuts, but still try to keep our meals as unprocessed as we can. We both work full-time, we're far from experts in the kitchen, and when we come home from work the last thing we want to do is spend tons of time chopping, etc. and then end up eating at 9:30pm. Also, we have lives.

Last night I made meatloaf AND mac n' cheese, and it was delicious but still healthier than traditional meatloaf and mac n' cheese. Here's what I did:

Turkey Meatloaf  - this is Chris' favorite meal that I make. Before we moved in together, he had never had meatloaf. (whaaaaat? I know).

Full disclosure: I got this recipe from the back of a Lipton's onion soup mix, but altered it since I don't actually use the soup mix.

Ingredients:
2 lb organic ground turkey breast
1 large onion, diced (I was really lazy and used a frozen bag of diced onions - pretty much the greatest thing ever).
2 eggs
3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup Simply Heinz ketchup
A little fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together and shape into a loaf in a 13x9 baking pan. (Might want to use a little cooking spray on the pan). I like to add a thin layer of ketchup "icing" on the top, but that's just me. Bake for about 1 hour or until done, and let it stand for 10 minutes.

Mac n' Cheese with Broccoli - since we should probably have at least 1 veggie in our dinner...

1 box Annie's Organic Deluxe Whole Wheat Shells & Extra Cheesy Cheddar
1 bag frozen organic broccoli

Follow the mac n' cheese box instructions. Heat up the broccoli. Mix the two together and BOOM, you have cheesy goodness AND something green. DONE.



...and there you have it: not-so-guilty comfort food.

-Alice

2 comments:

  1. Also nermz. I love ground turkey. I use that and make a ton of veggies with garlic, etc. and a can of crushed tomatoes to make pasta! Sometimes I add a little fat free cream and I swear it's crack. Plus you should try adding poultry seasoning, it totally works amazingly.

    ReplyDelete